This recipe is handed down from my mother in law who is a wonderful cook.
Oil -2 tsp
Garlic cloves-3 (crushed)
Cumin seeds -1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds -1/4 tsp
Red chillies -2 broken into pieces
Curry leaves -2 springs
Salt – to taste
Tomatoes -2 medium size (cut into small pieces)
Tamarind – small lemon size
Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
Rasam powder* – 1/2 tsp
Water – 3 cups
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Heat a pan with oil. Add crushed garlic and fry for 5 seconds. Add cumin, mustard and fenugreek seeds.
- When they begin to splutter, add red chillies, curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric and tamarind.
- Fry the tomatoes for about 2 minutes. Cover and cook on medium flame. Tomatoes should turn mushy and soft.
- Pour water and bring to a boil.
- Taste it and adjust salt. Check sourness as well.
- Add rasam powder. Allow it to boil well for about 5-6 minutes on medium flame.
- Switch off the stove. Add the coriander leaves and keep the pan covered.
- Serve hot with dal and rice.
* Any rasam powder can be used.
I use my own recipe but I would recommend MTR Rasam powder. You can find it in any super market.