Chicken – 1 kg
FOR MASALA PASTE
Small onion – 1
Cloves – 25
Cardamom – 4
Cinnamon – 1 1/2 inch piece
Poppy seeds – 1/2 tbsp
Ginger – 2 inch piece
Garlic – 12 or ginger garlic paste 1 1/2 tbsp
Star anise – 1
Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cashew nuts – 15
Grind all the above ingredients into a fine paste using little water.
Water – 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder – 4 tbsp
Salt to taste
A generous pinch of turmeric
Oil – 1/2 cup
Crushed garlic – 8
Cumin seeds -1/2 tsp
Broken red chillies – 10
Curry leaves few
Finely chopped onions – 3
A pinch of salt
Green chillies – 6
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash the chicken and put it in the pressure cooker. Grind all the masala ingredients to a fine paste using little water.
- Transfer the masala paste into the chicken. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well.
- Pressure cook the chicken for 3 to 4 whistles and turn off the flame. Wait for the pressure to release naturally. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Add all the talimpu ingredients one by one. Fry till the curry leaves turn crisp and aromatic.
- Add sliced onions, turmeric powder and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook on medium flame till the onions light golden brown.
- Now add the cooked chicken along with any left over gravy and cook on high flame.
- Let the water evaporate. Mix well and adjust seasoning. Roast the chicken on medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the pan now and then. When the chicken turns light brown in colour, add finely chopped coriander and mix throughly.
- Fry for another 2 to 3 minutes. Check out the seasonings. Switch off the flame and serve hot.
One thought on “CHICKEN FRY WITH MASALA PASTE”