Tamarind – 100 grams makes one cup of thick paste
Water – 1 1/4 cup
Jaggery – 2 1/2 cups
Finely chopped sugarcane – 2 tbsp
Finely chopped coconut – 2 tbsp
Finely chopped banana – 1/2 cup
Finely chopped mango – 1 tbsp
Neem leaves – 1/2 tbsp
Salt, red chilli powder, black pepper powder – 1 pinch each
Each home has their own way of preparing ugadi pachadi.
- Soak the tamarind in 1 1/2 cups of water for 1-2 hours and extract the pulp.
- Grate the jaggery or you can powder it in a mixer.
- Separate the neem flowers from the springs. Then gently rub the neem flowers between your two palms to separate the petals and put them in a plate. Use only petals for this process.
- Keep finely chopped coconut, finely chopped bananas, finely chopped sugarcane and finely chopped peeled mangoes to a side.
- Take a wide bowl. Add tamarind extract and 2 1/2 cups of grated jaggery. Mix well using your hand till the jaggery melts.
- Then add the finely chopped ingredients mentioned in step four and mix well.
- Lastly add neem petals, salt, red chilli powder, black pepper powder. Mix well.
- Offer ugadi pachadi as naivedyam (offerings to god during the festival of ugadi).
Ugadi pachadi should be like a sauce. Do not taste it if you intend to offer it to god. The recipe for ugadi pachadi may vary according to family beliefs and customs. All the ingredients in this pachadi recipe can be adjusted to suite your taste. Ugadhi pachadi goes well with curd rice.
One thought on “UGADI PACHADI”
Wow! Lovely share!