Chana dal – 1/2 cup
Urad dal – 1/2 cup
Black pepper- 1 1/2tbsp
Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Garlic – 1/4 cup cloves with skin
Fresh curry leaves – 3 cups loosely packed
Oil – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Lemon juice – 1tbsp
Ripe green chillies/ dry red chillies – 12 to 15 slit (adjust according to your spice level)
Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Heat 1/2 oil in a pan and add ripe green chillies and fry on low flame for 4 to 5 minutes. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add 1 tsp of oil. Roast chana dal and urad dal until they turn golden.
- Then, add black pepper and roast for another 2 to 3 minutes on low flame.
- Add curry leaves and fry on low flame for 4 to 5 minutes.Switch off the flame and add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- Cool it and transfer it to a mixer jar. Add salt and grind it to a coarse powder.
- Lastly, add fried green chillies and garlic and grind again.
- Transfer it to a bowl. Add lemon juice and mix well. Check out the seasonings.
- Transfer it to a glass jar. Serve with hot rice and ghee.