Pesara pappu [ moong dal ] – 1/2cup
Medium size onion – 1 [cut into chunks]
Green chillies – 3 slit
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Water – 1 1/2 cup
Finely chopped fenugreek leaves – 3/4 cup to 1 cup [ loosely packed and washed]
Ghee – 1tsp
Oil – 1tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Garlic – 3 cloves mashed
Dry red chillies – 4 pieces
Curry leaves – few
- Wash moong dal and cook with chopped onions, green chillies and water.
- Cook on low flame till the dal is 3/ 4 cooked . [dont mix]
- Then, spread washed fenugreek leaves and cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes. [dont mix the dal]
- Open lid. Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Heat ghee and oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add all the remaining ingredients one by one and fry for few seconds.
- Pour the cooked dal over the talimpu and mix well.At this stage, if the dal is too thick,add water and mix well.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes and switch off the flame.Goes well with rice and roti.