Chana dal – 1 cup washed and soaked for 1/2 an hour
Finely chopped bachali koora – 4 cups washed and keep it aside.
Medium size onions -2 cut into 2 pieces
Green chillies – 3 slit
Water – 4 cups
Tamarind juice- 4 tbsp semi thick liquid
Jaggery – 3/4 cup to 1 cup according to your taste
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Salt – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 2tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 6 mashed
Dry red chillies – 8 pieces
Curry leaves – 1/4 cup
If you want to cook this recipe in karthika masam for puja, you can avoid onions and garlic.
- Boil senagapappu with 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker on high flame for 1 whistle.
- Reduce flame to low and cook for 4 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Allow the pressure to release. Add washed bachali koora, onions, green chillies and 2 cups of water.
- At this stage, if you want to add kanda [yam] pieces, you can add.
- Pressure cook on high flame for 1 whistle and reduce flame to low.
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes and switch off the flame. Allow the pressure to release.
- Add tamarind juice, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and jaggery.
- Mix well and bring it to a boil. Cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee and oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add all the remaning ingredients one by one. Fry for few seconds and add cooked dal over talimpu. Mix well.
- Adjust seasoning and cook till the water evaporates.
- Dal should be semi liquid. Serve with hot rice and ghee. Adjust sweetness according to your taste.