Split urad dal – 1cup [ with skin or with out skin]
Rice rawa – 2 cups
Salt to taste
Small coconut pieces – 1/4 cup optional
Ghee and oil for frying
Water – 1to 2 cups
- Wash and soak urad dal and rice rawa separately for 6 hours. Just before grinding wash again.
- When washing urad dal, the skin will separate. It’s upto you if you want to retain the skin or not.
- Grind urad dal with 1 to 11/2 cup of water to a smooth batter like idly batter.
- Add rice rava to the urad dal batter after squeezing out the water. Add salt and mix well.
- If you like coconut, you can add small coconut pieces and mix well. Keep it aside for 1 hour.
- Heat 3 to 4 tsp of oil and ghee in a kadai. When oil is hot, reduce heat to low and add a bowl full of batter.
- Cook covered on low heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Once it starts leaving the sides of the kadai, flip it over to the other side.
- Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes without covering the pan. Once done, remove from the pan.
- Cut into wedges, and serve hot with cheruku panakam.
Rice rawa – 1/2 cup
Moong dal – 1tbsp (pesara pappu)
Cumin seeds – 1/3 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/3 tsp
Finely sliced onion – 1 small size
Green chillies – 3 to 4 slitted
Finely chopped ginger – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – few
Oil – 2 1/2 tbsp
Water – 1 cup
An easy, delicious and authentic traditional south indian breakfast recipe.
- Heat oil in a pan, add moong dal and fry for 1 minute. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and stir them for a few seconds.
- Add finely chopped ginger, green chillies, sliced onions and curry leaves.
- Cook on a medium flame until the onions become transparent. Add rice rava and salt. Mix well.
- Pour water and mix well. Check out the salt and bring it to a boil. Now reduce heat, cook on low flame until rava is cooked well.
- If you think the rice rava needs to be cooked some more, add 1 to 2 tbsp of water. Cover and cook on low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once this water is absorbed and the rava is cooked, turn off the flame. Keep covered for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot.
- Adding a tea spoon of ghee while boiling water enhances the flavour but it is optional.
You can add carrots and peasants well
Rice rava – 1 cup
Chana dal – 2 tbsp (senaga pappu)
Grated fresh coconut – 3 tbsp
Water – 2 cups
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak chana dal in water for 30 minutes. Take a pan and add water. Add chana dal and bring it to a boil.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes. Add freshly grated coconut and salt. Mix well.
- Reduce the heat, add rava slowly into the boiling water, mixing well with another hand to prevent lumps.
- Cover the pan with a lid until the water evaporates completely. Make sure it doesn’t burn. Swicth off the flame.
- Leave it covered for about 15 minutes. Transfer this to a wide plate and cool.
- After 15 minutes, wet ur hands and make small balls. Sprinkle some water if rava is too hard.
- Use an idli steaming stand or any perforted plate to steam these rice balls. Place rice balls on the plate.
- Place the stand in a pressure cooker with little water to steam. Cover the pressure cooker and steam for 6-8 minutes. (Whistle not required)
Adjust water according to the rice rava you are using. If you have any doubt, add an extra half cup of water.
Rice rawa – 1 cup
Potato – 1 [cut into cubes]
Carrot – 1 [cut into cubes]
Green chilles – 5 cut in two pieces,
Garlic cloves – 15 (skinned)
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Broken red chilles – 10
Onions – 2 cut into cubes
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 2
Oil – 2
Pulav masala – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Water – 2 cups
- Heat oil and ghee in a kadai. Add garlic cloves and fry for 2 minutes on medium flame. Add cubed potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook for 3minutes.
- Add cumin seeds, red chillies, onions, green chilles and curry leaves. Cover and cook till onions and potatoes are cooked well.
- Add ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Fry till the raw smell fades away.
- Add rice rawa. Mix well. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes and then add the pulav masala. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour water. Cover and cook on low flame till the water dries up.
- If rawa is not cooked properly, sprinkle some water and cover. Let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
You can use vegetables of your choice.