Kandi pappu [toor dal] – 1/2cup [soak 1 hour]
Medium size tomatoes – 3 cut into cubes
Medium size onion – 1 cut into pieces
Green chillies – 4 slit
Water – 2 cups
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2tsp
Salt – 1 1/2tsp
Ghee – 1tbsp
Oil – 1tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Mashed garlic – 4
Dry red chillies – 4 pieces
Curry leaves – few
- Wash kandi pappu well. Take a pressure cooker and add kandi pappu, chopped tomatoes, , chopped onions , water and green chillies.
- Boil on high flame till the first whistle. Adjust flame to low and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to release. Open lid and add turmeric powder, salt and red chilli powder.
- Lightly mash dal and adjust the consistency of dal according to your taste by adding water.
- For talimpu, heat oil and ghee in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add all the remaning ingredients one by one and fry for few seconds and pour the cooked dal over talimpu.
- Mix well for 2 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Serve with rice and roti. You can add lemon juice or tamarind juice.